Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Brief History in Low-Rider Pants

As we were making our way through a subway tunnel in Beijing, Mama Lai spotted a young Chinese man who wore his pants very low.  Mama Lai turned to me and pointed at him:
"Is that what they call a 'low-ride'?"
Chuckling, I nodded yes.
"Do you know what the history of a low-ride pants is?"
Thinking she was asking this question in earnest, I volunteered to help her look it up when we got back home if she was really that curious.
"Oh!!  You don't know???  Well, I know.  Let me tell you."
Mama Lai gleefully related to me her knowledge of "low-rider" pants, which she had garnered from reading an online article "written by a black man" (so of course on such topics, this is an important indicator of reliability).
"...in prison when you wear your pants low it means you're the submissive one."
I was practically choking with laughter and I must've given Mama Lai a look because she announced:
"and yes I know what submissive means in prison!" 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment