Thursday, June 16, 2011

Awkward Teenage Moment

When I was a teenager I was moody and repellent and lived by an unarticulated rule of one-word utterances when absolutely necessary.  I was shy and very religious so I rarely spoke about boys.  Duckie was the opposite and was very chatty about her crushes and the boys she was interested in even though she was a fews younger than me.

The contrast between me and Duckie and my silence on the matter began to bother Mama Lai and one day felt like she should reach out to her sullen teenage daughter.  She picked me up from basketball practice and instead of driving home, drove me to a parking lot of a nearby park.  Mama Lai confronted me and said:
"Are you gay?  How come you don't talk about boys?  You know mommy and daddy would love you no matter what right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment