Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Fortune Teller

When I graduated college, I moved to Taiwan.  A co-worker brought me to a famous psychic who did crystal ball readings in Taipei.  The session is private and my Chinese was poor so the psychic was kind enough to make a tape recording of her fortunetelling so it can be replayed and translated for me later.  In my future she saw (as translated to me by Mama Lai):
"You will meet your match through an introduction by friends.  You will date for one to two years and will be married by the spring of your 28th birthday.  He will be tall and jolly, Chinese American and of good temperament and he will be beloved by your family."
What she saw in the crystal ball was Mama Lai's ultimate dream for me.  But as the fortune teller explained to me before the session, I can always alter my own destiny.  And as my 28th birthday came and went, I discovered that Mama Lai had been secretly listening to the tape as a source of hope.   When I turned 30, she listened to it again.
"Somehow you altered your destiny,"   Mama Lai said with great disappointment.
 Shaking her head, she added:
"Now anything can happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment