Monday, February 7, 2011

Your Husband, Your Problem

Mama Lai has never been quiet about her preference that I date/marry an Asian man (even more favorable if he was Chinese and spoke Chinese).  But one day, out of the blue, Mama Lai told me that despite her preferences, I should still find a man who I loved and respected, who loved and respected me regardless of ethnicity or color.  Worried that I might be walking into a trap, I cautiously asked if that means I wouldn't be excommunicated from the family if I married a non-Asian and Mama Lai clarified herself:
"I didn't say that.  I still get to have my opinion.  But one day I will die and you will be stuck with that man.  And you would be really stupid if you were to curse your dead mother for that mistake."

No comments:

Post a Comment