Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Meeting the Roommate

Mama Lai and Papa Lai came down to visit me and had an opportunity to meet my roommate.  My roommate was born in Beijing, but raised in the U.S.

When they arrived, my roommate greeted Mama Lai and Papa Lai enthusiastically in Chinese with  “您好!” and proceeded to carry on a conversation with them in Chinese.  But Papa Lai's English is better than his Chinese and when his responses in English did nothing to dissuade her from using Chinese, Papa Lai said:
"You know we speak and understand English.  You don't have to speak to us in Chinese."
Mama Lai interjected:
"Oh [Papa Lai] she is trying to make a good impression by showing off her language skills.  Probably practicing all week!"
And then turning to my roommate she said:
"And we are very impressed.  Good job.  You are so Beijing." 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment