Monday, July 25, 2011

Hard Being Parent

When I reached my mid-twenties I decided to confront Mama Lai over all the missed basketball games, rowing races, tennis matches and various other unattended school and extracurricular events.  I wanted her to account for the lack of support I felt all those years growing up.  Mama Lai heard me through my venting and ranting, cocked her head to one side and sighed:
"I never knew you felt that way!  I honestly felt like I was stretched so thin. I was so tired from sleeping very little raising you three and then I would have to drop you off here, pick you up somewhere else so you can participate in anything that you were interested in always thinking I'd give you an opportunity to learn whatever you wanted.  Something I didn't get to have growing up.  All that time I thought I was being supportive!  And then you tell me that you feel like I didn't support you?  I do my best -- gosh it's so hard to be a parent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment