Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baby Switch

During my single digit years, I had this fantasy that I was adopted by my parents because I was part of a international secret organization's witness protection program guarding me from my underground mobster father and his ninja enemies.  As I entered into adulthood I asked Mama Lai if there was any chance I wasn't hers and Mama Lai said:
"Certainly.  When you were born there were so many other Asian families at the hospital having babies.  It was Asian baby season.  And you know...all babies kind of look the same and you have to give credit to the nurses for keeping track.  Hahahaha...maybe you aren't mine, but you're an adult now, it's kind of too late isn't it?" 
And as she marinated on this idea that her children might not be her own, she confirmed that my sister Duckie was certainly a 'Lai':
"There was only one other mother in the hospital having a baby when your sister was born.  And she was white and she had a son she named 'Rocky'".

No comments:

Post a Comment