Friday, January 14, 2011

Ugly Duckling Can Still be a Swan

Mama Lai loves brushing my hair.  And when I was growing up I hated having to sit still while I waited for her to finish.  Even now, I'm still not a big fan, but I've become a lot more patient.  I'm too tall now so I have to kneel down so she can reach the top of my head.

When I went home this holiday, Mama Lai was brushing my hair and looked at me in the mirror:
"You know, one of my regrets is never dressing you up as a girl when you were young and letting you wear boy's clothes and cutting your hair short like a boy.  I don't know how to say it exactly, but I think you would have benefited.  Your sister is different, she knows how to make herself up and be pretty, but aiyah...but you just lack that sense." 
And then Mama Lai turned my head towards her and cupped my face and said to me:
"But just because I say that doesn't mean you can blame me.  You're an adult and you can take responsibility.  It's not too late.  You can still be pretty."

No comments:

Post a Comment