Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mama Lai and the Child Protective Services Agency

My mother likes to tell me this story every once in awhile.  She says of her three children I’ve tortured her the most and that I not only owe her my life, but two lives just to make it fair for my two siblings. 

When I was two years old Papa Lai was the breadwinner in the family and Mama Lai was taking a class at the local community college.  For about 10 hours/week I was left in private daycare associated with the school.  One day, Mama Lai had a visitor and she  never gets visitors being new in town and was very surprised.  She was lonely back then. The students at the community college were young and the culture was so different and was so glad to have an adult conversation that she hadn’t really heard why or where this woman was from. 


It turns out the woman was from child services and advised Mama Lai that she was there to investigate a claim by the daycare that I was being abused because of some green, black and blue markings on my butt.  And Mama Lai, taking this very seriously, laughed at her:

“In this small apartment is my husband, me and this baby.  If there’s anyone who’s getting abused is me.’ ”

After doing some research, the woman and the agency realized that the markings were common amongst East Asian babies.   The school’s day care sent her an apology. 

“I did that town community service.  And this is how you tortured me.  You even sent child services to me.  You abused?  Ha.  You abuse me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment