Monday, October 25, 2010

Mama Lai and the Shanghai Matchmaker

I was never sure whether Mama Lai got bored of trolling chatrooms or if she was unsatisfied with the results, but when I reached my 20s Mama Lai sought out reinforcements in meddling with my dating life.  Mama Lai turned to several people for help.  I call her “The Shanghai Matchmaker”. 

This “Shanghai Matchmaker” was a member of Mama Lai’s church who moved to Shanghai in the early 2000s and seemed to be very well connected there.  I protested, unsuccessfully.  “She lives in China, I live in the U.S.”
“Well obviously, you’re not having any luck here.  Don’t be so limited, think global.”
The Shanghai Matchmaker lived up to her name and Mama Lai was delighted the match was “Chinese, tall, a lawyer”.  There were just two “conditions”:
“He doesn’t speak English.  But you’re trying to improve your Chinese right?  And, he can’t get a visa to come to the U.S.  But you were thinking of visiting China anyway?  You like it there.  You can visit him and get to know him.”
Of course this should not be a problem for me.  After all, my first date ever was devised by Mama Lai and occurred in Toronto, Canada.  A few weeks later, all hopes were dashed:
“Auntie (The Shanghai Matchmaker) called and the boy’s family is Communist.  And we are not Communist family so not such a good idea.”

No comments:

Post a Comment